A major part of the Lions year is spent raising funds to enable us to fulfil our charitable work. The Club has Charity status CIO (a Charitable Incorporated Organisation - Commission Reference Number 1179721) Events are organised by the club members in the Fund Raising Committee. However, all club members take an active part in each of the individual events. The money raised is used to assist individuals and organisations that may seek our help; 95% is donated to good causes within the local community with the remaining 5% being used on International Lion projects that need global assistance, such as the impact of International disasters. To simplify the management of events the event organisers will use the email address:  [email protected] for all communications.

The Fundraising Team are as follows:

David Wadsworth Chairman, Mike Barty, Steve Dale, Ian Forbes, Lynn Graysmark, Tony Harvey, Harry Horsburgh, Paul Johnson, Richard Maynard, Ron Millen, Richard Parr and Jill Pyper.

The key events in the Annual Calender are as follows:

Book Sales

The club has recently placed a bookcase at East Grinstead railway station stocked with paperbacks for travellers to purchase. This installation complements the Lingfield station bookcases that have been in place for many years. The club is actively seeking more venues to increase the number of outlets. 


Our books sales at the local stations are really successful and help us to raise money for community serves in our area. Can you can help by donating good quality paperbacks? If so contact Richard Maynard on 0345 833 9506 Donations continue to be made and our picture below show a complete library donated to the Club.

Sponsored Swim

This event was held on 7th March 2020 between 6.30 and 9.30pm, where local businesses, sports clubs, schools, scouts and any group of six individuals provide teams to swim for 25 minutes in the Kings Leisure Centre, for which they obtain sponsors. The money raised is shared between the Lions 40% and the teams 60%

May Fair - 3rd May 2020

Coronavirus COVID - 19    This event has been cancelled.

This event started in 1979 is usually held in the picturesque East Grinstead High Street on May Day Bank Holiday Monday BUT this year was to be held on SUNDAY 3rd May because the May bank holiday has been moved, from 10am until 4pm.

Vintage Bus Day

Coronavirus COVID - 19    This event has been cancelled.

This event will be held on the 19th April with buses arriving and departing from the High Street. The Lions will be providing a refreshment stall for participants during the day.

Donkey Derby

Coronavirus COVID - 19    This event has been cancelled.

A new summer event for the club, the inaugural event having taken place in July 2013. It is staged on the football pitches next to the Kings Leisure Centre with a mixture of donkey racing provided with the support of Riding for the Disabled, a fun dog show and supporting side shows and stalls. This event will be in support of Lions Charities and will be held on the 26th July 2020.

East Court Live

Coronavirus COVID - 19    This event has been cancelled.

The date of these events have yet to be finalisd but the Lions will be present with the Refreshments Tent if it continues..

Christmas Raffle

There were 13 winning numbers and the tickets were sold online. Thanks to the generousity of the public we managed to raise £1000 to support Senior Citizens and local charity's.

The Club would like to thank the following businesses and individuals who kindly donated prizes for the Raffle: Martell’s, Waitrose, Stone’s Family Butchers, Hamilton Studios, Collingwood Batchellor, London Bar and Grill, W J Armstrong Ltd, Tree Frog, The Foot Lady, Bluebells Café, Building Structures Associates and the Club’s home-grown District Governor, Ian Forbes. The Lions would also like to thank Martell’s department store for hosting the draw and officiating at the proceedings.

 Other Events

Coronavirus COVID - 19 Subject to the restrictions in force other events supported by the East Grinstead Lions to raise funds may be curtailed. Please see the Programme Page for details   

Why not join us in helping others in the Community. Send us a message on our Contact Us page or contact the Club Secretary direct.

Return to The Club Page

 Updated 3.11.20